Thursday, April 17, 2014

To Witness or to Evangelize?

Recently, while I was preaching I made a statement that stirred up one of my church members.    I was preaching on the subject of living a mission all life.  In the context of what I was saying I was talking about living out the call of Christ to be a witness in this world.

Here was my comment: 

“I meet  a lot of people who talk about being evangelistic and they say, “Pastor I'm just not very evangelistic.”   I hear a lot of times people will say,  “Well that's not my gift.”  Well, evangelism is not a gift.  It's a command.  And if we are not being evangelistic than we are not being obedient. That means we're being disobedient, and that means we're in sin.”

You see, it is my belief and passion that Christians from all walks of life, can learn how to share their faith in Christ effectively. You can witness with confidence.   However, it is not just that we can, but we should.  As obedient servants to our Lord and his words, we should be evangelistic witnesses to others around us. 

This individual was all stirred up because he wanted to split hairs over the meaning of the words witness and evangelism.    Like I said in my sermon, the work of evangelism is a universal responsibility of all Christ followers.  I stand by that statement, not because I desire to but because I believe the word of God teaches me to do so. 

This upset church member of mine accused me of ignoring scriptures verses that talked about the gift of the evangelist.   I have no problems with making the statement that God gives some the calling to be an evangelist.  There are individuals today and throughout history that have and have had a unique responsibility and role within the kingdom to be an evangelist.  Yes, of course an evangelist will participate in evangelism.   That goes without saying.

But all of us, regardless of our lifestyle, background or personality should initiate conversations with strangers, friends, family, coworkers and neighbors, with the intent of sharing the gospel.

Whether you want to call it being a witness, or engaging in evangelistic efforts it makes no difference to me.  What I do know is that God has made it crystal clear in his word that every Christian is to "Go and make disciples in all nations.”  And that Scripture also teaches us we are to: "Make disciples and teach them to obey all the commands” that Christ has given us.  See Matthew 28:19, 20

To follow this man's line of reasoning a baker should be the only one to bake.  A salesman should be the only one to sell, a seamstress should be the only one to sow, a mechanic should be the only one to fix a car.  But, how many of us have ever baked a cake?  Yet, is our profession a baker?    Have you ever changed the oil in your car, or changed the starter?  Yet, are you a mechanic by trade?  Have you ever picked up a needle and thread and tried to fix a piece of material?  That does not make you a professional seamstress, does it?  Of course not.  Any more than sharing the message of Christ as an evangelistic witness makes you a called, gifted evangelist. 

Through the years I've tried to be obedient to this command as best as I know how with or without the “gift”.   I have done so with a desire to obey and  I believe God has honored my desire.  I have personally witnessed God's transforming power in my own personal witness from the shy hesitant  young boy I once was to one of a confidant servant of Christ,    If he can do that for me, he can do this in countless others lives as well. 

So whether you call it evangelism, or witnessing...  I believe it's one of the same. Two sides of the same coin, as we say.    But honestly, please don't parse the words in order to hide behind the word “witnessing” so you can negate the responsibility for your scriptural mandate to make disciples through evangelism.

In living the mission we must as I said in that sermon, strive to make conversations about Jesus natural.  You must learn how to guide the person to a definite commitment in the Lord Jesus Christ.  And further, we must learn how to help the new believers begin to grow and walk upright in their newfound faith.

Let me give you some thoughts concerning evangelism rooted in the gospel:

1.     Evangelism must be rooted in the gospel-centered vision.

        Jesus has defeated sin, death and evil through his sinless life, his atoning death on the cross, his resurrection, and his ascension to the right hand of the father. Jesus now rules his kingdom. And by grace alone through the Holy Spirit's power, people who trust in Jesus are redeemed and swept into this glorious kingdom. We must see the gospel clearly.

2.    Evangelism must be rooted and gospel-centered worship.

Worship is not simply singing, but it is a lifestyle.  All life is worship.

3.    Evangelism is rooted in gospel-centered discipleship.

Discipleship is not knowing more information about Jesus, but knowing Jesus and being transformed into his image.  This occurs best and we are constantly exposed to the gospel of grace in the context of a local church. 

4.    Evangelism must be rooted in gospel-centered serving.

Fire community doesn't change, then maybe we shouldn't be here.  That's a strong statement, but we must look for ways to make an impact on our community.  I think it's best done through service. 

5.    Evangelism must be rooted in gospel-centered living.

Reaching the lost must go beyond having a dynamic worship experience.  Church is more than a weekend event.   Church is living out the great Commission and unleashing followers who are nothing more than missionaries transformed by Jesus.

6.    Evangelism must be rooted and gospel-centered reliance on the Holy Spirit.

As followers of Christ we should trust in faith that the Holy Spirit will empower us to do the work of God.



For more on this subject see my sermon series called “sent.”  To listen to the context of my contents I would suggest that you listen to the last sermon in that series.

No comments:

Post a Comment