Thursday, September 5, 2013

When the master meets us



NIV Matthew 11:28 "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest”

Make no mistake about it Christ is not inviting us to leisure or laziness, however,  He goes on to say: “Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, from gentle and humble in heart; shall find rest for your souls.”

He encourages us by telling us that his yoke is easy and his burden is light.   The writer of Hebrews picks up on this in Chapter 4 when he talks about a high priest who has passed through the heavens his name is Jesus, the Son of God.

As I read the text,  I wonder if the writer of Hebrews isn’t thinking about the invitation of Jesus in Matthew when he writes “let us therefore draw near with confidence to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and may find grace to help in time of need.”  {See Hebrews 4:14 through 16}


As I work and serve the kingdom of God through the local church I see people and yes I myself at times in life have needed rest, grace, and help in times of distress and need.  It is wonderful and comforting to know that we have a Master who meets us where we are, when we need him the most.

No comments:

Post a Comment