Thursday, May 10, 2012

FB Clarification


Here is a recent Facebook post:  “Many have asked my opinion today concerning Obama. I say when a nation embraces and accepts homosexuality it is a signal sin of judgment.”

Certainly my heart is heavy concerning this issue and frankly for other issues.   This statement that I made on Facebook is no doubt without great thought on my part. 
Let me say that there is so much I would like to share I'm not sure where to start.  I guess I should start by saying I don't consider myself a bigot, or closed minded in general terms.  I'm very much open to learning, and dialogue, and truth seeking.  Now having said that, I do believe that there are absolute truths in Scripture that we need to uphold absolutely.

However, before I get too far down the path of my thoughts, let me express personal testimony and window into my upbringing.  The issue of homosexuality I dare say touches almost every person in America, and perhaps even the world.  I am no stranger to this debate.  Growing up in a fairly small east Texas town, I had an uncle who was gay.  I watched his lifestyle pitt our family against one another.  There were those in my family who were outraged to say the least.  On the other hand there were those who disliked his choices and yet still embraced him as a person.  I have often wrestled with the appropriate balance in this issue as well as other issues.

To have come to understand that there is a difference in being judgmental and making a judgment.  God has given is right and wrong.  He has given us standards to uphold, truth to seek after, and there are times when we have been called upon to make a judgment.  We see our Lord many times in the gospels making a judgment. Yet, it was the Pharisees and Sadducees who are often seen as being judgmental.  {Remember the woman caught in adultery?}  Christ came to be the light; he came to expose the darkness in mankind's hearts.  Christ came to seek and to save those who were lost.  And there were many times when Christ extended grace to those that he met.   When Jesus said Judge not lest you be judged, the context was not that we would make a judgment, but that when we make a judgment that would make it with clean hearts, eyes and minds. 

Please understand: we were sinners headed to a devils hell until by grace Jesus saved us! 

All of us have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God {as seen in Romans 3}. The Romans chapter 1 is clear, in verse 24 verse 26 verse 28 God says he gives them over, he abandons men who've rejected him, he abandons people when they rebelled and worship anything but God the word there that Paul uses basically means to hand over.  The point of Paul in Romans 1 is that God gave them over to the last of their hearts.  The word lust there is sexual in nature and you cannot get around that.  And when you look at the context it becomes clear that the sexual nature with Paul's referencing his homosexuality.  God gave them over because they exchanged the truth of God for a lie and worshiped and served the creature rather than the creator. And God comes and says you've dishonored me therefore I'm going to give you over and dishonor you.  What was it that mankind was worshiping in Romans chapter 1?  They were worshiping the beast of the field the birds of the air the snakes the crawl on the ground.  God gave them over to do with the beast that they worshiped would not do. 

I challenge anyone to look to the animal kingdom and find me an example of a homosexual animal that God created?   {HINT:  You won't find one.}

I would also say that God did not create mankind be homosexual, but rather God has lifted his hand and said I will no longer be involved with you.  That is why I posted on Facebook that the signal sin of God's judgment on nation is homosexuality.

God said through Paul in Romans one, “you would not honor me therefore I've decided you to let your passions drive you to do with the animals that I've created would not do.” 

Read Judges 18 ,19 & 20. The Israelites almost wiped out the traveler Benjamin over the sin of homosexuality. 

You know what people are going to try to say,  “the sin of Sodom and Gomorrah was not the sin of homosexuality.”   In an effort to defend their position people will point to passages like this one:

 Now this was the sin of Sodom: She and her daughters were arrogant, overfed and unconcerned; they did not help the poor and needy. They were haughty and did detestable things before me. Therefore I did away with them as you have seen. —Ezekiel 16:49-50

They often say that the sin of Sodom and Gomorrah was nonsexual.  Sure, there were some non-sexual sins that were present in Sodom and Gomorrah. There is no doubt about that in my mind, however Scripture does indicate that the homosexual relationships occurring was the prevalent physical sin in Sodom.  Be careful holding a position like that because Jude verse 7 is clear:
NIV In a similar way, Sodom and Gomorrah and the surrounding towns gave themselves up to sexual immorality and perversion. They serve as an example of those who suffer the punishment of eternal fire.

When you look at 2nd Peter chapter 2 verse 6 the fishermen had pretty clear things to say about Sodom and Gomorrah:
For if God did not spare angels when they sinned, but sent them to hell,[a] putting them in chains of darkness[b] to be held for judgment; if he did not spare the ancient world when he brought the flood on its ungodly people, but protected Noah, a preacher of righteousness, and seven others; if he condemned the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah by burning them to ashes, and made them an example of what is going to happen to the ungodly; and if he rescued Lot, a righteous man, who was distressed by the depraved conduct of the lawless (for that righteous man, living among them day after day, was tormented in his righteous soul by the lawless deeds he saw and heard)— if this is so, then the Lord knows how to rescue the godly from trials and to hold the unrighteous for punishment on the day of judgment. 10 This is especially true of those who follow the corrupt desire of the flesh[c] and despise authority.
Peter's words are very clear God destroyed the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah for the rest of history to see: Here is an example of what God does want culture gives way to this kind of ungodly lifestyle.  Also his words are comforting to me.  God knows how and is fully able to protect the righteous!   Honestly, I have considered moving to a foreign country given the current drift and direction of our nation.  But this verse brings me great hope and steadfastness in that God is in Control, and he sees all men and knows the depths of their hearts!

Many times in Scripture Sodom and Gomorrah are mentioned and almost every time it is mentioned alongside the judgment of God.  Jesus does mention Sodom and Gomorrah right alongside judgment:

If anyone will not welcome you or listen to your words, shake the dust off your feet when you leave that home or town. I tell you the truth, it will be more bearable for Sodom and Gomorrah on the day of judgment than for that town. --Matthew 10:14-15

Keep in mind, my original post; “… I say that when a nation embraces and accepts homosexuality it is a signal sin of judgment.”

I do not make that statement with a judgment heart, only to say that I'm deeply concerned for the direction in which our nation is headed, not only in the area of homosexuality, but in the area of marriage, divorce, gluttony, and hatred.  We are a nation out of control.

I want t be clear, please hear me:  the Bible does not say that having people who practice homosexuality brings total judgment and destruction on a nation because, in reality there is homosexuality in the culture. Just like there's adultery in every culture, just like there's murder in every culture, just like there's theft in every culture.  I think what is being taught from Scripture is this:  it is when the culture, or the nation embraces the lifestyle of homosexuality that we should interpret it as a sign of God's judgment.

Look across our nation, from California to Massachusetts, our culture is on the fast track of accepting homosexuality.  Of course what prompted this Facebook discussion were comments that our president made,  yesterday.   If you watch TV you can’t watch much programing without references to it in the story lines.   And whenever we accept this lifestyle as normal, and whenever the culture embraces it, we had better watch out.

God has a design for human sexuality, it is called heterosexual relationships inside the covenant of marriage. One man and one woman for life.

In Romans 1:27 Paul talks about God’s schematic for sexual relations.  Paul is basically saying that what they are doing is Not the Way, God designed it to be done.  They are doing something that is not according to God's game plan or design.  The point is made that this is not God's plan or design for human sexuality to be homosexual.  It is listed among many other sins, as something to repent from.  Repentance is what God desires.


By the way another form of judgment and perhaps worse than God giving a nation over to the signal sin of homosexuality, is apathy.  Apathy is a form of Judgment.   I think there are many today who do not care.  Many today live with their head in the sand and live as if they are asleep!  This kind of reckless living is really is bothering to me...  I am determined not be one of them!



No comments:

Post a Comment