Sunday, November 10, 2013

Thoughts that Transform Us II


Here is a thought for us to ponder:  If something keeps you from thinking right you will not worship right! 

How convicting is that?    Is that statement true? I believe it to be, so let us  put it to the test.    Someone said, “ I do not like these modern day chorus songs.”  People actually come up to me and say pastor we should see nothing but hymns.    I don't like contemporary music.  Good chance there's someone reading this today who would agree.  Let me ask you this question:  does it bother you that someone likes contemporary music?  Are they wrong to enjoy contemporary music?   What if they are singing a psalm?   

It is very likely that most of us are going to get into a contemporary car, after we have taken a shower with contemporary soap and shampoo, and put on contemporary clothes and fixed our hair and contemporary styles, and sprayed on contemporary perfume.    It is very likely that all of us address contemporary...  Does that make these things wrong?  No not at all.

Now, I like some of both styles.   I'm just old enough to have grown up on the hymns of the faith, and I'm young enough to have enjoyed the courses that have emerged, and so I am in a small crossover generation that enjoys both. 

But there are people each week who are on my left and my right and they have extreme preferences.    While I'm on the subject:  Let me be fair, There are many people who are younger than myself who have come to me and said I don't think we should sing anymore hymns...  And frankly I don't like that attitude either.   It is the same stinking attitude that can keep us from worshiping today.

Whenever we think in our minds that it ought to be only one way we are endangering our worship.

God did not form the church just for you and your preferences.  He has formed it  for a world that is lost without God, and called us to reach everyone.  He called his church to reach this world, everyone of every color, race, and every style.

A few years ago the church was fighting translation wars.  I actually had someone one time tell me once that if I would preach out of the King James Version I  would be “a pretty good preacher.”  You mean to tell me the same King James Version that Moses brought down off the mountain?  Give me a break.

I actually like the New King James.  I also like the NIV.    I read the New Living and ESV for devotional purposes.  But the real reality is simple: I don't know anyone today that speaks in the old King James language, do you?   Every once in a while I'll use a Greek word when I'm preaching, although lately I try to stay away from it because I don't want to try to get above someone where they would tune me out.  I want them to hear the blessed word of God and be changed, not be turned off by my poor use of Greek words. 

I will tell you one thing:  I hope and pray to God that I'm thinking biblically enough that I will not set in worship today and be ruined in my thinking because we did not sing the song that I wanted to sing.  I think it's high time that we grow up in our thinking. 

Furthermore, just for the record sake, there was a day when the Hymns we sign today was considered contemporary.  There is coming a day if Jesus Christ prolongs is coming that what we are singing now will be old.

People talk about churches splitting because of worship styles.  Can I remind you today that people are dying and they are splitting hell wide open and we are setting around climate-conditioned buildings prohibited in our mind from worshiping God because were not singing a hymn or a chorus.  Really?  

Why do we have this attitude:  “I'm not going to sing” or “this hymn is outdated or “I can't believe were singing this song, not again!”  Beloved, I submit to you today these thoughts are not right, and keep us from worshiping God!   If these thoughts are not right how can we ever expect to worship God rightly?   The very thing we say we want to do (worship God) we are not able to do because our thoughts about songs keep us from a worshipful attitude!

If we were honest today all of us have musical preferences based on our generational upbringing.   Oh beloved, please hear me today: I don't want to think generationally.  I want to think like the God who made me!  I want to dwell on what He is all about, and His mission.  It's not about me or what I want or what I prefer!  IF IT IS, THAN IT IS NOT THE WORSHIP OF GOD!

True worship is never about me or what I want or prefer!  Rather Worship is about the God who made me, called me and what He wants to do in my life!

It is amazing what we allow to screw up our mind!  {Now that is a good Greek word!}    Seriously, we allow our minds to become so jaded that we cannot even worship. 

Like it or not there is a battle for your mind.  There is a battle for your soul.   Your thought life is important!   Your thoughts about God are the most important thoughts you will ever think about! 


1 comment:

  1. I therefore, a prisoner for the Lord, urge you to walk in a manner worthy of the calling to which you have been called, with all humility and gentleness, with patience, bearing with one another in love, eager to maintain the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace. There is one body and one Spirit—just as you were called to the one hope that belongs to your call— one Lord, one faith, one baptism, ... Ephesians 4:1-6 ESV

    I appeal to you, brothers, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that all of you agree, and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be united in the same mind and the same judgment. For it has been reported to me by Chloe's people that there is quarreling among you, my brothers. What I mean is that each one of you says, “I follow Paul,” or “I follow Apollos,” or “I follow Cephas,” or “I follow Christ.” 1 Corinthians 1:10-12 ESV

    Do nothing from rivalry or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves. Philippians 2:3 ESV

    Major on the majors and minor on the minors. The Gospel should be Central. Good points.

    ReplyDelete