Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Pleasure Pursuits are Poisonous!

I submit to you today that pleasure is the outgrowth of pride.  The pleasure pride pursuit  with in me has to do with what I want to feel, and what I want to experience.  It has to do with what's best for me.   Sure, I could get off the couch. Yes, I could work a little harder.  Of course, I could,  and I know I should,  but I don’t want to because I am prideful and pleasure seeking.

Sins of pleasure destroy our love for other people.  Because sins of pleasure teach us passionately pursue ourselves.

The problem with the church today is not that to many people are passionately in love with heaven.  The problem is not that professing Christians are retreating from this world, spending to much time singing the songs of God, or studying the Scriptures of God, all the while, in different to the needs of the world around them.

Don't you see it?  Our problem today is that professing Christians spend less than 10 minutes reading the Scriptures and then half their day making money and the other half enjoying and repairing what they spent it on.

The church needs a revival,  so that we can be more heavenly minded and earthly good. 

Where is the person whose hearts is passionately in love the pleasures of God and sees themselves as a sojourner on this earth?

Where is the person who has tasted the beauty of the age to come, so much so that the diamonds of this world look like marbles. 

Where is the person who has so experienced the pleasures of God that the entertainment of this world looks empty and the moral causes of this world are too small because they have no view of eternity?  Where is this person?

Will he or she stand up, come forward, our communities need you, and our nation needs you!  Furthermore, our world needs you!

Where is the person who is not in bondage to the internet, where is the person who is not consumed but eating or drinking, where is the person who is not focused on fishing, but rather understands that he is a free man in a foreign land. A pilgrim passing through a strange land.

Look around you beloved, this is not your home!

Where is the person who ask: “How can I maximize my enjoyment of God for all eternity while I'm in exile on this earth?

Where is the person that only one thing satisfies their heart is doing the works of heaven on earth? Sharing the love of heaven here and now to anyone and everyone they meet? 

The pursuits of earthly pleasures are the cords that bind heavenly love, the power to sever these cords is only found in repentance over the sin of our pleasure.


For most Americans today,  My pleasure experiences are more important than anything else.  Yea, even God.





No comments:

Post a Comment